My folks are visiting and man is it nice to extra helping hands to get things done around here! Of course this means more mouths to feed and I always feel a little more pressure to have proper meals when we have guests, I can't feed them my protein pancakes every night lol. You know me, I like to make up some good, nutrient packed meals but also don't want to spend the little time that I have with them shopping, prepping, and planning for meals. I've been getting better at planning out the meals before guests arrive in order to be more prepared ahead of time. I've also started using the crockpot for meals when we have company. There are so many great crockpot/slow-cooker recipes and once you take the time to gather the ingredients and spices then you really can just toss it all in and forget it. My veggie chili is a fave around here and it's really easy to throw together and we always enjoy having extras so that we have something for the always hard to decide upon lunch dilemma! We planned to have leftovers however I have to report that there wasn't much, triple batch next time!
I hope that you enjoy this chili and the new twist on my favorite that added a delicious & unexpected sweetness. Enjoy!
- 2 cans of fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 2 cans drained and rinsed black beans
- 1 chopped onion (I've used white and red and like both!)
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- *1 cup cubed butternut squash (optional, this is the delicious twist!)
- Dump everything in the crockpot and stir it up. Cook on high for 2 hrs (check that squash is tender if you include it) or on low for 4hrs.
- I realize that peeling and chopping the butternut squash is a workout in itself however it did add an unexpected sweetness so is definitely worth the work.
- This is the batch size that I made to feed 6 of us (two kids) and we had almost two servings left over. I'll make a triple batch next time so that we have more leftovers!