I had a ton of leftover tomatoes so decided to try to make ratatouille. I didn't have eggplant or some of the other ingredients that you find in some versions so I improvised (which happens a lot around here) and used what I had. My husband LOVED it but the kids were not big fans. It may have been the texture that got them or the fact that I told them that I put a rat in it 🙂 Not only is this recipe easy and delicious but it's brimming with lycopene. Tomatoes are full of antioxidants and have been shown to have anti-cancer benefits, as well as supporting bone & heart health.
Anywhooo...here is the recipe, I hope that you enjoy it as much as we did!
- 1/2 bottle of Lucini pasta sauce - I used Sicilian Olive Wild Caper Sauce and it was really good (you could use any pasta or tomato sauce here - check that there's no sugar added of course ;-))
- 3 large tomatoes chopped
- 1-2 large onions chopped
- 1 cucumber chopped (would have used zucchini instead if i'd had some)
- 1 large green pepper
- 1 large red pepper
- 2-3 cloves of garlic minced
- 1/2 tbsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tbsp dried oregano
- 1-2 tbsp EVOO (extra virgin olive oil
- Throw everything into the slow cooker/crockpot, mix it up and cook on low for 9 hrs ( I tasted it at 7hrs and it was just as good :))