This is one of my hubby's breakfast favorites. We can definitely fall victim to getting stuck into routine eating the same things day in and day out so this breakfast burrito is a nice change. Black beans, eggs, spinach, and the whole grain wrap are all good sources of protein and iron making this an energizing breakfast. The salsa adds some spice and the avocado adds a welcome creaminess.
This is an easy recipe to make up for a group and is a great option for lunch or a casual dinner too. You can prep the eggs and bean/spinach mixture and leave the toppings in small bowls so that people can create their own healthy Burritos. Serve these up with a some vegetable credit and a beautiful bowl of fresh fruit to add even more nutrient density to this meal.
Our daughters are always anxious to get their hands into the creation process and like putting together their own. Getting the kids involved definitely helps to get their buy into eating the meal too!
- 1/2 - 1 Rudi's Multi Grain Wrap (you can use a gluten free wrap instead as well)
- 2 eggs
- 1 piece of organic cheddar
- 1/4 cup rinsed and drained black beans
- 4 tbsp's salsa
- 1/4 avocado sliced
- 1 large handful of spinach
- 1/4 yellow onion diced
- 1/2 tbsp olive or coconut oil or cooking spray
- Sautee the onion, spinach & black beans in a skillet with the oil and remove
- Scramble the eggs in the skillet and remove (you can melt the cheese on top of the eggs now if you like)
- Warm the wrap in the skillet until soft and flexible
- Top one side of the wrap with the spinach/onion/black bean mixture and 1/2 the egg (add 1/2 slice of cheese if you haven't already melted it on the egg).
- Top with 1/2 of the avocado and salsa.
- Fold the bottom of the wrap over and roll it up.